Wednesday, August 17, 2016

RV storage headache

Dear Dr. R.V. Shrink:
We are now in our third week of the RV lifestyle. The excitement is starting to wear off, especially when we stop and I start opening cupboards and the refrigerator. Bouncing down the road seems to make our food items jumpy. I opened the cupboard above the dinette today and put an ugly looking dent in my husband's head, not to mention the table.

I know I am not the only first-timer that has experienced this problem. I know you can't fix my husband's head (it's way too late for that), but how about some storage advice, tips, hints, ideas?
--A bit road jumpy in Joplin

Dear Road Jumpy:
I know where you are coming from. We used to have a memorial dent in our dinette table that perfectly matched the one on my head. It doesn't take many concussions to force you to rethink your storage options.

 There are all kinds of cupboard protectors, bars and boarders on the market that help keep contents corralled. What we have found very convenient for our freezer storage are simple plastic containers that allow us to organize the space and still allow us to see the contents.

You will learn as you go that some items will ride better in certain areas than others and you will pack accordingly.

Some manufacturers do not put enough of a lip on cupboard shelves. You can remedy this by purchasing one of the items I mentioned above, or simply adding your own, using matching trim molding you can buy at any home improvement store.

Things falling out of storage cupboards can be a real headache, as you have already discovered. But a few preventive measures will solve this issue permanently.
--Keep Smilin', Dr. R.V. Shrink

No comments: