Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Waste Management

Dear Dr. R.V. Shrink:
My wife finds it embarrassing that I haul our waste across the campground in a plastic container with wheels. She thinks we should break camp, hitch up the trailer and haul the whole rig over to the dump. We spend most of the winter in one spot without a sewer hook-up. The dump station is only 25 yards away. I don’t mind dealing with the chore. Everything is clean and controlled. It doesn’t make a mess. I am sure a million people have these containers. I have used all the reasoning I can muster to convince her this is a normal campground activity. I told her I was writing you for therapy. Could you give some advice on “to haul or haul not?”
--Wasting Away in Margaritaville

Dear Wasting:
I would say you have nothing to hide. You might as well haul it over to the dump in your underwear. Everyone knows what’s in that “honey wagon.” They sell those things in all sizes. This year I met a guy in Big Bend National Park that built fresh and waste water tanks in his pickup bed. He is a little less conspicuous, but everyone knows what he’s hauling. I can’t think of anyone that is not producing the stuff. Someone has to be the delivery person. Your wife should just be glad you haven’t asked her to take turns making runs. You’ve got the runs and she’s embarrassed - that stinks. If you can’t work this out, my only other solution would be a Sewer Solution RV macerator. I have one for certain situations and it works like a charm. It is only about a hundred bucks, but needs a water source to operate. When at home I move waste from my tanks a couple hundred feet to my septic. Water breaks down the waste and then moves it along a 3/4 inch hose. If you are only 25 yards from a sewer connection or dump station this would be a perfect solution for you.
--Keep Smilin’, Dr. R.V. Shrink

##RVT873

No comments: