Thursday, June 27, 2013

'Am I too easygoing?' RVer asks

Dear Dr. R.V. Shrink:
I have to tell you I read your column every week. Mostly for the chuckles, but also to see what people are complaining about. I love your line, “Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope.” I just wanted to write and tell you how abnormal I am. I’m a full-timer with a small retro Airstream. I go wherever the wind blows. I never seem to have any of the problems the other folks experience. I think maybe they are thinking too hard. If I get neighbors with a yapping dog, I block it out. If someone decides to take a shower at the dump station while I’m waiting, I just read a book until they are done. If I get party animals camped next to me I plug in my earbuds and listen to country music. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff, and it’s all small stuff. I read that somewhere, because I’m just not that creative. Anyway, keep up the good work. Every Saturday morning I love to read about what I'm missing. —Happy Go Lucky in Lake Louise


Dear Lucky:
You are a breath of fresh air. You remind me of two kids who were total opposites. One a total optimist and the other a total pessimist. Their father asked me if there was anything I could suggest to maybe even them out a bit. It was near Christmas so I told him to buy the pessimist a fancy new bike with all the bells and whistles. Spare no expense and get him all the options. For the optimist, I suggested he fancy wrap up a large box of horse manure. I told him that should even them out just fine. On Christmas morning I happened by their house. There on the sidewalk was the pessimist. I said, “What did Santa bring you?” He said, “I got a stupid ole bike with so much junk on it I can’t even find the pedals.” I turned around and the optimist was running out of the house and jumping off the porch. I asked him the same question. He went screaming around the house, “I got a pony, but I haven’t found him yet.” I think you might be pony boy. Happy travels, as if you need the encouragement.

—Keep Smilin’, Dr. R.V. Shrink

##RVT853

9 comments:

Barb said...

That is is so funny, about the pony! I know what you mean, I know both kinds of people, but only associate with pony people. Who needs a cloud around all the time. I agree with Happy Go Lucky, why not take it easy and enjoy life?

The only thing is, if everyone was like her, you wouldn't have a very interesting column. :)

Erik's RV Blog said...

That was a great post and response. I fear I'm far too negative far too often so reading this helped bring me back towards positive for once, today I'm looking for my Pony. :)

Erik

Anonymous said...

Been a subscriber for some time. Do no own an RV but love your wit and wisdom. This is the best post ever. I enjoyed it so much I even shared it with my wife. We both got a good laugh! Please keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Well, if it wasn't for the pessimists in society the optimists wouldn't have something to feel superior about. It's all a matter of perspective don't ya think?

Anonymous said...

I often wondered at the people who write you about their complaints..and think "why do they camp and travel" if they encounter so many "situations"! Traveling is about going with flow and enjoying life! This was a great post and loved your answer! We have been full timers for 7 years and divide our time between travel and volunteer work and boy have we seen both kinds of campers!

Anonymous said...

but a pessimist is never disappointed.

Gene and Jean said...

This is the philosophy I live by: Don't take life seriously, you won't get out of it alive anyway.

Feel free to use it, no charge.

Gene of Gene and Jean (the two old Jeans)

Jerry X Shea said...

It's A Great Life If You Don"t Weaken. Been saying that all my life and just wrote a book about it. The strong survive and the weak complain day in and day out.

Jerry X Shea said...

It's A Great Life If You Don"t Weaken. Been saying that all my life and just wrote a book about it. The strong survive and the weak complain day in and day out.