Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Older than dirt RV, or just old dirt

Dear Dr. R.V. Shrink:
We have a perfectly functioning Class C motorhome that we have traveled in for 14 years. Over that time we have babied the engine, outfitted it with solar, new appliances, new upholstery, new flooring, extra batteries and many more conveniences. We know the rig and can fix most things on our own. It fits like a glove. Yet, my husband wants to sell it and get something new because the decals are faded. I’m afraid I may be next as I’m fading a bit myself. There is absolutely nothing wrong with our rig and I am stubbornly refusing to agree to a new rig, a new payment, new brake-in period and new learning curve. Am I being selfish? Please give me some advice.
Old Fashioned in Oklahoma


Dear Old:
There is lots of information I do not have that would make the answer I give you vary. Your finances, how much you use the Class C, how many miles on it and the body condition other than the decals. So let me approach it from this angle. I am going to assume it is in great shape and your point is why spend money on something new just because your husband is bored with what you have and finds it unsightly. First, he may find the newer designs more convenient. Your rig probably has exposed sewer connections and no basement storage for example. Maybe it isn’t just the decals. There will come a point that updating is no longer cost effective. He may be thinking you are at that point. So many amenity choices are also personal choices. If, however it is simply faded decals, I can save you some money. For about $70 you can buy a product called PoliGlow that will make your rig shine like new. It is easier than waxing and when you are finished it will have a showroom shine. You will need to do this every year or so, but it’s very simple. It’s a two part kit. First part entails scrubbing streaks and marks off and then putting several coats of PoliGlow on with a chamois as if you were varnishing. Good luck with your new rig or your new look. I like both end results as long as both of you are happy campers.
--Keep Smilin’, Dr. R.V. Shrink

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even better than Poli-
glow is Red Max Pro #3. Search the RV forums for this name.
New RV decals can also be ordered online for DIY or professional installation.

But you can't convince me the Hubby here is so unhappy with the decals that he's willing to take on significant debt in this economy.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you just paint the damn thing and have it over with!!!!! Cheaper than a new rig.....