Monday, March 28, 2011

Campground Quiet Time "NOT"

Dear Dr. R.V. Shrink:
We have been RVing for a long time but recently we had an event that was a new experience for us. I thought we had seen it all, but I was wrong. We were in Silver River State Park in Florida and about ten o’clock at night a group showed up to claim the site next to us. They were camping in a horse trailer with a loud diesel truck as a tow vehicle. Without exaggeration it took them over an hour to back it into a wide, straight site, with little to hit except bushes. For awhile I thought it must be the Candid Camera crew trying to get a stir out of us. It was all I could do to keep my husband from going out and parking it for them. They were yelling, “Whoa, stop, hold it, go forward, back to the left, you’re crooked” and before they were done a few other choice words. I thought it was humorous after awhile but my husband could hardly stand it. I told him it was all part of the camping experience and that on occasion we would have to deal with stupid people who are clueless when it comes to common sense and quiet manners. He thinks he needs to give classes to those who haven’t figured it out on their own yet. I think that can be dangerous in this day and age. Can you throw in your two cents.
--Coiled Spring in Silver Springs


Dear Coiled:
You have to think of those occasions as experiences. You now have a great story to tell around the campfire when you are with fellow campers. Trust me, you have yet to see it all. If you let every inconsiderate camper annoy you to the point of distraction you will take years off your camping life. Campground life is not a utopian existence, but in my opinion it is close. You will experience a good, even wonderful outcome 95% of the time. You can improve those odds as you travel more and learn which camping areas offer less chance of having a close neighbor. Just be thankful you don’t own real estate next to people like the ones you experienced at Silver River. You can always move to another campsite when things become unmanageable. Some folks have no clue how to back up a rig, but a quiet campground in the dark is no time to learn. Give everyone the benefit of the doubt, you never know what they might have been through before they made it to your quiet little oasis that night. Patience is a virtue.
--Keep Smilin’, Dr. R.V. Shrink

##RVT802; ##RVT895

5 comments:

eeyore said...

I like your response to this situation. I also like the way these people dealt with the problem. This was a one time event and though it was annoying, it was better to let it pass. Sometimes you see someone get all ticked off only making matters worse and running up their own blood pressure to boot. Like you said, this will make a great story to tell for years to come. If we are honest, each of us has done something at one time or another that was boneheaded.

RVThereYet said...

I can appreciate your husband's exasperation and your story reminds me of our first several RV trips when everything was new and DISASTROUS. I recall some helpful individuals, some not so much, and a few who sat back and seemed to enjoy a show being performed for their entertainment. I'm sure there are a some people who still talk about "that couple" from several years ago!

You'd think being quiet, considerate and refraining from profanity would be common sense in RV parks. But, like the world, there are a multitude of personalities.

I agree with you that your husband probably shouldn't approach certain people to "teach" - especially if that teaching attitude shows signs of contention. Men - people in general - will appreciate HELP much more than a sarcastic LESSON at 10pm, after a long day of driving and not having eaten for several hours. Timing is everything and bad timing could result in problems larger than noise pollution and inconsiderate neighbors.

Between my husband and me, I am usually the one who is more easily frustrated, whether it be by inconsideration or just having others campers' experiences infringe upon mine. Happy kids playing outside can make business calls impossible. People around their campfire laughing, drinking and talking a little too loudly may require me to close my door, give my book reading or change my plans for my own evening outside. One thing I quickly learned is that RVers definitely have to be a flexible lot or we will all feel like flipping out.

My recommendation is to opt for end spots in RV parks. They may cost a little extra but you will only have one next-door neighbor and Hubby may not feel so confined and victim of his surroundings with the more open feeling. Also opting for a "premium" space, when available, might surround you with more experienced RVers who know the routine and unwritten laws on RVing.

Anonymous said...

Whenever we come across someone having difficulty parking their rig - especially when it's getting dark I grab a lantern or flashlight and my walkie-talkies and go over to see if I can help out. Usually help is genuinely appreciated and have made some great friends over the years. I find We don't come across too many easy opertunities to break the ice with people these days.
Sure beats sitting in the rig grumping out for sure...... try it some time!!!

Anonymous said...

I truely believe that when you purchase an RV the dealer should require you to "test drive" with them before leaving the lot. Driving forward, backwards, parking, setting jacks, awning, everything. They should make sure you know what you are doing before handing over the keys to an RV or travel trailer. Other peoples lives and your are at stake.

macsprinter said...

We've seen many 'amusing camping Neighbors'. In the Michigan U.P. we had a couple back a tent trailer into a straight backin site. After many tries and comentary the wife took over for the husband.Still no luck. They unhooked the trailer and proceeded to watch it roll across the site. We enjoyed every minute of the show!